Social Security Disability: An Application Summary

If your injury has prevented you—or will prevent you—from working for more than 12 months, you may qualify for Social Security Disability.

Social Security Disability pays benefits to people who cannot work because they have a medical condition that is expected to last at least one year or result in death. Unlike other government programs, Social Security does not give money to people with a partial disability or a short-term disability.

Social Security urges you to apply for disability benefits as soon as you become disabled or are told that you cannot return to work for more than 12 months. Social Security can take a long time to process applications—up to 5 months.

You can apply for Social Security Disability two different ways:

  • Online at; or,
  • Call 800-772-1213, to make an appointment to file a disability claim at your local Social Security office or to set up an appointment for someone to take your claim over the telephone.

When you schedule an appointment, they will send you a Disability Starter Kit to help you get ready for your disability claims interview. You can also download the kit at You also will need to complete an application for Social Security benefits and the Adult Disability Report, which is available online at

According to Social Security, the claims interview may last up to an hour or so. Much of the information that they require is the same information you have been organizing and maintaining since your injury:

  • Names, address, and phone numbers of the doctors, hospitals, and other health care providers that have treated you;
  • Dates of all of your appointments;
  • Names and dosages of all of the medications that you have taken;
  • Laboratory and test results;
  • Medical records from your doctors, hospitals, clinics, and other health care providers that you already have in your possession; and,
  • A summary of where you worked and the type of work that you did.

You will also need:

  • Your Social Security number;
  • Your birth certificate; and,
  • A copy of your most recent W-2 form.

Even if you do not have all of your records, Social Security urges you to apply anyway. They will help you obtain needed records from medical providers.

For more information, visit

Working with Styka & Styka, LLC

At Styka & Styka, LLC, we work hard to effectively settle work injury claims with maximum financial compensa- tion. To help us successfully handle your case, please do not discuss the circumstances of your case with any- one except the people in our office and your doctors. If you, a relative, or a friend suffer a work-related injury, call Styka & Styka at (312) 357-8000.

%d bloggers like this: